Day 1, Friday, September 23, 2016
7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Continental Breakfast & Registration
8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
Welcome by Co-Chairs
Amy E. Garrett, Simmons Hanly Conroy LLC, Alton, IL
Brenda G. Baum, HeplerBroom LLC, Edwardsville, IL
8:45 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Secondary Exposure - Recent Decisions in Key Jurisdictions
• Which State’s Law Will Apply?
• Duty: Foreseeability and the Relationship Between the Parties
• Who is the Plaintiff and Defendant?
David W. Aubrey, Gori Julian & Associates, P.C., Edwardsville, IL
Mandy M. Williams, Kurowski Shultz LLC, O’Fallon, IL
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Pointers on Appellate Practice in Illinois and Missouri – An Appellate Primer
• Posturing For an Appeal; Appellate Practice Tips For Non-Appellate Lawyers
• When is it Appealable? Final decisions, interlocutory appeals and writs
• Creating a Proper Record on Appeal Preserving errors and issues, offers of proof, supporting evidence for motions
• Strategy and Practice Tips for Plaintiffs and Defendants
• Decker v. Union Pacific Railroad Company, 2016 IL App (5th) 150116.
Hon. Judy Cates, Illinois Court of Appeals, 5th District, Mt. Vernon, IL
Bill Kohlburn, Simmons Hanly Conroy, Alton, IL
Brad Elward, Heyl, Royster, Voelker & Allen, P.C., Peoria, IL
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
Bankruptcy Trust Updates
Hon. Daniel J. Stack (Ret.), Aequitas, Alternative Dispute Resolution, St. Louis
11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Naval Vessels and Liability for Asbestos Components
Paul L. Knobbe, Goldberg Segalla, St. Louis
Nathaniel Mudd, Maune Raichle Hartley French & Mudd, LLC, St. Louis
12:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch - “George Kiser’s News and Views”
George A. Kiser, HeplerBroom LLC, Edwardsville, IL
1:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
Ethics: Diversity and Inclusion
• New ABA Rule 8.4: A Multidisciplinary Effort to Provide Access to justice
• Adoption of the Rule by Missouri and Illinois
Tracy Beckham Phipps, Herzog Crebs, LLP, St. Louis
Jacqueline F. Redmond, Herzog Crebs, LLP, St. Louis
2:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Current Trends in St. Louis Asbestos Litigation
• Knowing Local Procedures – Rolling Docket, Case.net, Motions to Accelerate Depositions
• Workers Compensation Exclusivity
Nicholas J. Angelides, Simmons Hanly Conroy, Alton, IL
Carolyn M. Husmann, HeplerBroom LLC, St. Louis
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
3:15 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Changes in Indiana Asbestos Law
• Repeal of the Indiana Product Liability Statute of Repose
• Impact of the Myers/Geyman Premises Liability Appeal
• The Odyssey E-File System
Todd Barnes, George & Farinas, LLP, Indianapolis
Christopher N. Wahl, Hill Fulwider, Indianapolis
Daniel M. Long, Quarles & Brady LLP, Indianapolis
4:00 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Special Issues in Asbestos Depositions and Settlements
• Rules of Various Jurisdictions
• Stip Letters: How They Help Both Sides
• Settlement Strategies
Aaron Heckaman, Bailey Peavy Bailey Cowan Heckaman, PLLC, Houston
Rebecca A. Nickelson, HeplerBroom, LLC, St. Louis