Day 1, Wednesday, May 27, 2015
7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
Continental Breakfast and Registration
Breakfast Sponsored by Pachulski Stang Ziehl & Jones
8:15 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Welcome by Chair
Daniel K. Bryson, Whitfield Bryson & Mason, LLP, Raleigh NC
8:30 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
Lumber Liquidators Exposed: The Story Behind the 60 Minutes Piece
• Plaintiffs’ Early Investigation and Results
• The Proposition 65 Case (Calif. Toxic Warning Law): Global Community Monitor v. Lumber Liquidators
• The First Consumer Complaint: Balero, et al. v. Lumber Liquidators
• Early Media Coverage
• Plaintiffs’ Work with the 60 Minutes Team
Richard T. Drury, Lozeau | Drury LLP, Oakland, CA
Linda M. Dardarian, Goldstein Borgen Dardarian & Ho, LLP, Oakland, CA
9:15 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
What is Carb2 and Does it Apply Nationwide?
• The California Formaldehyde Standard for Composite Wood Products
• Test Methods Published by CARB to Determine Compliance with CARB2
• The Regulatory History of the CARB2 Rule
Kristen Law Sagafi, Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP, San Francisco
Francis (Bud) J. Offermann MSME, PE, CIH, President, Indoor Environmental Engineering (IEE), San Francisco
10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Is There a Personal Injury Case?
• Carcinogenic Effects of Formaldehyde Exposure Through Lumber Liquidators Products
• Cancer Risk in Lumber Liquidators Installers and Contractors: Workers' Comp Considerations
• Acute vs. Chronic Conditions vs. Latent Diseases
• Potential for Acute and Chronic Injury Class Actions and the Establishment of a Health Outreach Program
• Formaldehyde Exposure and Upper Injuries
• Formaldehyde Exposure in Children and Risks from Formaldehyde Exposure and Pregnancy
Aimee H. Wagstaff, Andrus Wagstaff, Lakewood, CO
Robin L. Greenwald, Weitz & Luxenberg P.C., New York
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Sponsored by International Litigation Services (ILS)
10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
Best Legal Claims and Defenses
• The Causes of Action
- Violations of Consumer Protection Statutes
- Products Liability
- Unjust Enrichment
• Other State-Specific Claims
• Defense: Flawed Testing Methodology
• Battle of the Experts
Robert Ahdoot, Ahdoot & Wolfson, P.C., Los Angeles
John A. Yanchunis, Morgan and Morgan, P.A., Tampa, FL
Carla Burke, Baron & Budd, P.C., Dallas
11:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Implications of Potential Bankruptcy
• Bankruptcy Court Jurisdiction
• Role of Creditors Committees
• Automatic Stay: Relief From Stay and Application of Stay To Third-Party Defendants
• Plan of Reorganization: Third-Party Releases and Channeling Injunctions
James I. Stang, Pachulski Stang Ziehl & Jones, Los Angeles
12:15 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch - Keynote Speaker
Whitney Tilson, Kase Capital Management, New York
Introduction by Kristen Law Sagafi of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP in San Francisco
Lunch Sponsored by Gilardi & Co. LLC
1:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
Early Lessons Learned: Challenges to Lumber Liquidators’ Home Air Test Program
• Updates On The Formaldehyde Depositions Taken Against The Company And The Director Of Its Air Testing Lab
• Outline Of The Company’s Improper Attempts To Influence Class Members Through The Test Program
- Misleading And Deceptive Statements
- Advocating Litigation Positions Without Disclosing Class Litigation
- Solicitation Of Releases
• Highlights Of the May 14, 2015, N.D. California Hearing Seeking Court Regulation Of Class Communications Under Rule 23(D)(3) (Silverthorn Case)
Andrew J. McGuinness, Andrew J. McGuinness, Esq., Ann Arbor, MI
1:45 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
Insurance Coverage for Liabilities Arising From Flooring Products
• Where to Look for Coverage: An Overview of the Types of Insurance Policies that May Respond to Lumber Liquidators-Related Claims
• Potential Hurdles to Coverage: Discussion of Common Policy Exclusions, With a Particular Focus on the Pollution Exclusion and its Interpretation in the Context of Similar Chinese Drywall Claims
• Best Practices for Submitting Your Claim: Guidance for the Insured in Preserving and Presenting the Insurance Claim
Jan A. Larson, Jenner & Block, Washington, DC
Matthew L. Jacobs, Jenner & Block, Washington, DC
2:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Dealing with China: Lessons Learned from Chinese Drywall Litigation
Leonard A. Davis, Herman, Herman & Katz LLC, New Orleans
Frederick S. Longer, Levin, Fishbein, Sedran & Berman, Philadelphia
2:45 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Class Action or Mass Tort?
• Nationwide or Multistate Certification Strategies
• Certification of Economic Loss and/or Property Damages Claims
• Prioritizing Predominant Common Questions, Such as Whether the Flooring Exceeds CARB Levels
• Certification of Liability Class and Trial - Advantages and Disadvantages
• Use of Rule 23(c)(4) in Connection with Personal Injury Claims?
• Aggregating Individual Personal Injury or Property Damage Claims
• Are Bellwether Trials Economically Feasible?
Charles E. Schaffer, Levin Fishbein, Sedran & Berman, Philadelphia
Jordan L. Chaikin, Parker Waichman LLP, Bonita Springs, FL
Daniel C. Girard, Girard Gibbs LLP, San Francisco
3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
3:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Meet the Experts: Laminate Flooring and Formaldehyde Testing Explained
Lori Streit, Ph.D., Unified Engineering Inc., Aurora, IL
Steven Verhey, Ph.D., Vice President - Technical & Quality Operations, TECO, Cottage Grove, WI
Albert L. DeBonis, Ph.D., Wood Advisory Services, Inc., Millbrook, NY
5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Networking Cocktail Reception
Cocktail Reception Sponsored by Angeion Group